What Digital Marketing is all about.
This is my first article here and I feel excited to share with you. Some of these things you may already know about digital marketing. I chose to start from the basics for the benefit of those who are starting and even if you are not new, I am sure this article would go a long way to refresh your memory on some of the basics.
The internet has been around over the past two decades and it keeps evolving every single day. It does evolve in every aspect, from user experience, usability, availability, cost of usage to devices, etc.
Digital marketing comes in here because with the availability of internet it has now become the new marketplace for all industry. This simply means that traditional marketing is losing its bite on our world today. Yes, the print media is no longer on the front seat of advertising; radio and TV services are been rapidly replaced by streaming services and podcasts.
Marketing has always been about connecting with your audience in the right place and at the right time. And today, guess where your audience are spending most their time? Yes, you are right, almost everyone is on the internet.
1. What is Digital marketing and its relevance to business?
2. Types of digital marketing
3. Benefits of digital marketing
4. Does it take long to get results from contents?
5. Do you need a huge budget for digital marketing?
6. I am ready to try digital marketing, what’s next?
1. What is Digital Marketing? Digital Marketing is the use of any online channel(s) to gain the attention of customers with the goal of selling your products/services. These online channels includes social media, search engines, email and other websites to connect to your customers. You don’t have to be on all the channels or platforms; every business has what works best for them online. So it’s your job to test what is working and what isn’t especially in terms of paid advertising which we will discuss shortly. As a business owner you are already competing with someone else and by leveraging technology it would give you an edge.
2. Types of digital marketing: I prefer to call it types in this context. Digital marketing is not all about Facebook ads, blogging or content creation, it encompasses more. These various types are strongly interconnected with each other and are so broad that only a team of specialized marketers in these different aspects can bring about a desired result. So for individuals, it is best to specialize in one or two of them. We will briefly discuss each of them.
- Search engine optimization
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Email marketing
- Pay per click
- Affiliate marketing
· Search Engine Optimization (SEO): This is the process of optimizing your website to rank higher on a search engine’s result page for a keyword(s). It is all about making your website search engine friendly and the only way to achieve this is by following the recommendations and guidelines of search engines like Google and Yahoo. When last did you search on google and went to the second page to click on a website? Funny right? Literally no one does that. According to Hub-spot, SEO accounts for 67% of all the clicks from the first 5 listings on a search result page and 71% of searches resulted in a page one google organic click. The higher you rank, the higher amount of FREE traffic you get to your website. This is amazing because you practically do not need to spend a dime on ads.
· Ways to achieve SEO: There are few ways to achieve SEO which is more technical than it was in the last twenty years. Let’s check them out.
On page SEO: This is nothing but how organized or optimized your website back-end is. This includes your website image compression, your codes and file sheets, the meta tags, your site responsiveness on other devices and so on which in turn may affect the load speed and the mobile friendliness of your website. And google loves mobile friendly site because it is now a ranking factor.
Off page SEO: It is also called link building. This is the process of getting links from other websites to increase your website’s credibility and trust during ranking. Getting back-links from an authoritative website improves ranking as it is an important factor in SEO.
Technical SEO: It is called technical because it has nothing to do with your actual website content. It is the process of optimizing your website for search engines to index and crawl. Here you help search engines crawl, interpret and index your website with no problems.
Local SEO: Have you noticed that when you input a query on a search engine you get results from nearby locations? For instance, if you search for restaurants near me on google, you get to see a list of the ones closest to you and there is even a map showing the exact locations with their details. This is local SEO and the best tool to achieve this is “Google my business” using any Gmail account. Did you know that 82% of smartphone shoppers conduct “near me” searches? (Search engine land 2018).
· Content Marketing: This denotes the creation and promotion of contents (which includes texts, photos, videos, infographs, audio, video, etc.) with the aim of generating brand awareness, traffic and customers. 86% of B2B marketers have used content marketing to raise brand awareness (Content Marketing Institute 2019).
· Social Media Marketing: According to Hootsuite’s 2019 report, 45% of the world’s population are on the internet. So promoting your brand and contents on social media channels to drive traffic, and generate leads on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, twitter etc., is always a smart thing to do for your business.
· Email Marketing: Email is often used to promote content, announce events, acquire leads and generate traffic. Email marketing, website development and social media are the most effective channels for B2B (Smart insights 2019).
· Pay per click: This is a method of getting traffic by paying publishers whenever your ad is clicked. Examples are Facebook and google ads. According to Google Economic Impact report, businesses make an average of $2 in revenue for every $1 they spend on Ad words.
· Affiliate marketing: This is a kind of performance based advertising where you receive a commission for promoting someone else’s products or service on your website or channel. A good example is my BlueHost affiliate link which will make me money if you sign up with BlueHost using my link. BlueHost is one of the accredited hosting companies by WordPress, so if you are a web developer consider subscribing using my affiliate link.
3. Benefits of Digital marketing
· Cost Effectiveness: It is way cheaper to advertise online than the traditional way (radio, TV, Newspaper etc) because with a little amount spent on Facebook ads you can get an amazing result (that is if you already know what to do exactly).
· Measurability: With this you can easily measure your return on investment (ROI) no matter the strategy implemented, if you conducted a giveaway, or a paid advertising, you can measure the impact of this on your business and also evaluate where you should focus on your next campaign.
· Builds Brand Awareness: Your brand can get all the attention it needs online with a little effort such as implementing some strategies. With this, it is much easier to build your follower-ship and audience.
· Puts customer in control: This is a unique benefit of modern marketing where users determine what sort of adverts they see. Google and other search engines use what we call cookie to display ads to viewers. Have you noticed Facebook ads you see on your wall is mostly what you have searched for before?
· Targeted demography: Yes, I like this one. When running paid ads you advertise to a targeted audience or demography. That is, if you are selling ladies wears, people who are not interested in fashion or ladies wears will not see your ads because it’s not their interest. With this form of targeted marketing, your chances of converting leads will increase.
4. Does it take long to get results from contents? This is a Yes and No question. Yes, it might take long depending on the expertise of the person handling your business, and don’t worry a new website can still rank depending on your niche, research and strategies. And No if you choose the easy part of using paid advertising, the results are almost instant but this is not advisable if you are starting out. At the early stage of any business it is best to acquire organic traffic for long term purpose.
5. Do I need a huge budget for digital marketing? No, you don’t need a huge budget to implement your digital marketing strategies even though it is not cheap to hire a good digital marketing agency. A small business with a small budget can still hire one and get results, this is still relatively cheap when compared to traditional advertising where you have to buy a page or half on a newspaper or run adverts on television stations. Remember there are many ways to catch a FISH.
6. I am ready to try digital marketing, what’s next? There are two things you can do now that you have an idea of what digital marketing is all about. First thing to do, is to practice what you’ve learnt so far, even though it would take you a little while to get conversant with it (that is if you are not already an expert), by following us on our social media channels and subscribing to our newsletter to get updates on industry trends, tools, hacks and so on, you can improve on your skills. Lastly, if you need any help or you don’t have time to do implement some of these strategies on your business online, you can simply contact us and we would be happy to help you crush your competition.
Remember that our subscribers get exclusive tips and hacks weekly to help them succeed in their businesses and I am sure you don’t want to be left out. So drop a comment below to tell me what you think about digital marketing or maybe there is something I forgot to mention, I can include that in my next update. Stay safe